Old City Salts

Old City Salts
Introducing Sampler Minis

Friday, March 22, 2013

Raw Turnip and Fennel Salad Bathed in Honey Dijon and Vanilla Bean Sea Salt

Such a long name for such a simple salad!  I absolutely adore fresh produce and this was one of the freshest!

I was invited to pick fresh turnips from the ground at a friends garden.  So I packed up my two children, age 4 and 6, and off we went!  They had so much fun searching for the turnips!  They identified them by their above ground leaves and the slight bit of purplish pink poking above the ground.

We gathered 3 bags and off we went to prepare these little gems.  They had so much fun on the back patio shaking off the dirt while we used the knives to trim.

Since these were so fresh, I thought my first meal with them would be a raw salad to honor the freshness.  A raw turnip tastes similar to a radish, therefore I decided to thinly cut them and make a simple honey Dijon vinaigrette to bring some sweetness and tang to the plate.  The 'Simple Elevation' is the addition of Vanilla Bean sea salt once plated!  I found Vanilla Bean to pair very well with honey Dijon and fresh, raw vegetables!

Ingredients:
1)  8-10 small turnips or 1-2 medium turnips
2)  2 tablespoons of raw organic honey
3)  4 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
4)  1/2 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar
5)  1 bunch of parsley
6)  Thinly sliced fennel (optional)...I had some and added it to another plate with the turnips and the combination was excellent!

Directions:

Thinly slice turnips and arrange on a plate.  Combine all ingredients for Honey Dijon Vinegarette and drizzle over turnip slices.  Sprinkle with Vanilla Bean sea salt and roughly chop and garnish with fresh parsley.




No comments:

Post a Comment