Old City Salts

Old City Salts
Introducing Sampler Minis

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Coconut Mussel Soup Elevated with Ghost Pepper Sea Salt!

We love everything from the sea!

Fresh local seafood is a beautiful whole ingredient that should be harvested from open waters versus farming operations.  Farming operations tend to over crowd increasing waste.  Increased waste causes disease and hence the need to use antibiotics.  Also, a lot of farming operations use grains or corn to feed which is not their natural source of food.

I came across a bag of fresh mussels and had to make a savory broth to bathe them in!

I started by heating small diced onions and garlic in a large pan of grass fed butter.  Once they turned translucent I add the the mussels and a cup of white wine.  I steamed them for about 8 minutes.

To the sauce I added a 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1 cup of coconut milk.

I added chopped fresh basil, sumac and to add some spice to this coconut goodness I add a decent amount of Ghost Pepper Sea Salt!!!  Perfection...


2 comments:

  1. "You are killing me" Coconut & mussels are one of my favorites - all I need is a little bread to soak up the coconut, cream, butter & wine soup!!

    Thanks for adding this recipe idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made some artisan bread dipped in coconut oil and toasted to a delicious crunchiness that accompanied this mussell-y bowl of goodness :)

    ReplyDelete